Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

HPS History

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Home > breadcrumbs: Alumni > breadcrumbs: HPS History >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 


Skip image

Story image 1_0
41dc28c272b89 The schoolhouse in 1926! Built with a bond of $62,000, it was the talk of the county! The "highway" in front has changed, as well as the teacher's vehicles! (please click on the thumbnail to enlarge)
The schoolhouse in 1926! Built with a bond of $62,000, it was the talk of the county! The "highway" in front has changed, as well as the teacher's vehicles! (please click on the thumbnail to enlarge)

School Facilities

by Mr. Ningen

January 04, 2005

Take a Tour of the Hemingford School Campus and Community

The slideshow that accompanies this article will allow you to get a glimpse of the buildings and grounds that make up the Hemingford Public Schools. A few shots of our downtown are also included. The district, under the guidance and direction of the board of education and administration, has worked prudently to be good stewards on behalf of all district patrons and students to provide and take care of the fine facilities the district owns

There are ongoing roof and window replacement projects, along with ongoing lighting and plumbing projects planned. In 2002-2003, the district embarked on a large building and renovation project that added facilities for wrestling, weightlifting, as well as new dressing rooms for varsity as well as junior varsity/junior high athletes to use.

A new entrance commons, along with a new Distance Learning Lab at the High School, was added just a few years ago, in 1999-2000 Visitors to the high school, finished in 1968, will be impressed with the wise use of tax dollars to continue the tradition at Hemingford of providing the very best for it’s students, while not bringing too heavy of a burden to bear on the taxpayers that are so supportive. That same year, the music department moved to their new home in the addition, and the old music room was remodeled into an additional secondary science lab. New heating and air-conditioning was installed in August, 2001. Each fall and spring, our students and staff are very thankful for this new accommodation.  The entire junior-high school is handicap accessible.

The Middle school consists of two modular classrooms; one added in 1995-96, the other in 2001-02.  They are very well maintained, and offer the space and comfort that middle schools need. Both buildings are handicap accessible.

 Hemingford’s lower elementary grades are housed in the former high school building built in 1926. (With a bond issue request of $62,000) The two story structure took the place of the old District 10 School House that sat where the Ag Education Shop is now located. It is in this building where new carpeting, new paint, and various remodeling have taken place over the years, making it a warm place for our youngest students. The exterior walls were completely tuck pointed in 2002 as well. This is also the building where additional lighting and plumbing upgrades are slated. The main floor of this building, as well as the old gymnasium is handicap accessible.

In 1980, the central office building was added, which also houses our pre-school classroom, our school nurses office, our elementary computer lab, and our cafeteria and school kitchen. Previously, hot lunch was served up on the hill to the North, where the old school house was located. The entire facility is handicap accessible.

The “new” or “big” gymnasium, utilized for music programs, graduation ceremonies, and all volleyball, basketball, and wrestling contests, was built in 1975, with the addition in 2003 as mentioned earlier. The ground level is handicap accessible, as well as the weightroom, training room, and wrestling room.

 New playground equipment was added just north of the middle school in August, 2000. Students and parents are fortunate to have such a fine assortment of new equipment.

The football field features lighting and a new crow’s nest, added in 2002, as well as new goalposts added in the fall of 2004. There are few football fields finer than ours!

In January, 2005 handrails and additional wooden steps with non slip surfaces were added to the existing gym bleachers. This added feature will provide additional comfort for sport and music fans.

Hemingford’s Ag Education classroom and shop building was built in 1991 and provides a well kept, safe area for students to work and learn. The former Ag Shop was located in the building just east of the Florist Shop in downtown Hemingford, just west of the railroad tracks. Ag students were required to walk across town to class there and back again for their next class. (And some of our present Ag students think THEY have a long walk to class!) The Ag Shop is handicap accessible. An additional maintenance garage was added in 1998 to house equipment and small vehicles. 1991 also found new classrooms added in the high school.

Please click on the underlined link below to see interior and exterior views of the beautiful campus and the buildings.

 

slide show Hemingford Public Schools Tour

School Facilities

Date Subject Posted by:
03/04/2005 Thank you for providing such a wonderful site for the public to enjoy. I'm an alumnus from the class of 1949 and it is such a joy to read what you are doing in the Hemingford Public School system. Keep up the good work. I have forwarded Mobius web address to classmates so they might enjoy too. Thank you, Donna Dufek Donna Dufek dufek@bbc.net Alliance retired

Back To Top